MUSEUM COLLECTIONS

History exposition of the region covers the period from the first inhabitants of the region (10-12 thousand years ago) till the year of occupation (1940). The exposition takes place in the former house of Moigis family (at 23 Vasario 16-osios street). The exposition reveals all the picture of our prehistory: everyday life of the natives, their relations with the neighbours, the forming process of ethnic groups, their customs and world-view. Working tools, ornamentation, reconstructed house of the Old Iron Age, the moulage of a barrow are displayed there. 

   

The History exposition of the region the visitors get acquainted with the development of the city of Panevezys, its historical, cultural and industrial development. The restored interiors of the shop and the glasshouse (the beginning of XX c.) are also on display.

   

The exposition also presents the period of fights for independence of Lithuania (1918–1920) in documents, photos, authentic things of that period. The interior of interwar sitting-room is displayed there.

   

The exposition begins with the events of the battles for independence of 1918-1920. A lot of volunteers were born in Panevezys region. Military and civil awards of volunteers, photos, documents and the flag of the Republic of Lithuania are displayed at the exposition.

   

The next stand displays the foundation of the Lithuanian Government in Panevezys City after the long period of occupation. The displayed Lithuanian money is created by the sculptor from Panevezys J.Zikaras. The photos of the government leaders of Panevezys are also exposed there.

   

Panevezys is one of the industry centers and one of the biggest cities in Lithuania. Another stand of the exposition reveals the history of Panevezys industry development. The visitors can see the beer bottle from the oldest brewery in Panevezys named “Kalnapilis”. The history of Panevezys enterprises is fully illustrated. The food industry dominated in the city; there were a lot of small enterprises. Major enterprises were owned by the Jews. The Jews formed one third of all inhabitants of Panevezys. The city also had a large Karaite community.

   

Panevezys was the biggest educational and cultural center of Aukstaitija region. The oldest male gymnasium in Lithuania was established there on 1st of October 1915. A lot of distinguished people graduated from this gymnasium. Such Lithuanian notabilities as G.Petkevicaitė –Bite, J.Zikaras, J.Balcikonis, J. Elisonas and J.Linde-Dobilas worked there as teachers. The girls’ gymnasium was also well known. In 1934-1936 the poetess Salomeja Neris worked there as a teacher.

   

Cultural life flourished in Panevezys as a lot of organizations and associations were developing their activity. “Sauliai” (Shooters) organization was especially active. Their badges and awards are presented at the exposition. The Polish community also formed quite a big part of Panevezys inhabitants. There was a Polish gymnasium in Panevezys.

   

Exposition Cross-crafting in Aukštaitija region restores the workshop of cross-crafter and God-maker of the end of XIX c. – the beginning of XX c. The are displayed authentic tools used of that period joiner and carpenter for creating his works. In this exposition there are 49 sacral wooden sculptures made by the most famous Middle Aukštaitija God-makers Ignas Bieliauskas, Ksaveras and Jonas Danauskai, Silvestras Merkelis, Jonas Valys and others. There everyone could also see two large crosses made by the famous our region cross-crafter Vincas Svirskis dated to XIX century.

   

Exposition of Nature was founded at the Museum from its foundation date (1925). During the war and postwar periods this exhibition was destroyed, so it was restored only in 1991. Now the valuable and rare exhibits of flora and fauna from Panevezys region are on display. The most valuable part of Nature exposition is the large collection of beetles and butterflies from all over the world (5000 pieces), gathered by Valerijonas Strasevicius (1885–1968). This is the biggest exposition of beetles in Lithuania.